Do unmarried people get child support in Thailand?

Home » More Thailand dating blogs

Child Support in Thailand

Child support is a crucial issue that arises when parents separate, whether they are married or not. In Thailand, parents are legally obligated to provide support for their child until the age of 20. If parents live together, child support is usually not a problem. However, if they separate, there are two ways to settle child support - through mutual consent or a court order.

Child Support through Mutual Consent

Married Parents:

Even if parents are divorcing, they can reach an agreement on child support without involving the court. This agreement should be in writing, signed in the presence of two witnesses, and registered at the district office. If the non-custodial parent fails to fulfill their obligations, the custodial parent can petition the court for enforcement.

Unmarried Parents:

In general, fathers of children born out of wedlock are not legally obligated to provide support. However, they can choose to enter into an agreement with the mother and register it at the district office for enforcement.

Child Support through Court Order

Married Parents:

If parents cannot agree on child support, the court will issue an order for the non-custodial parent to provide financial support based on the child’s needs and the parent’s financial capacity.

Unmarried Parents:

For children born out of wedlock, the father can be obligated to provide support through legitimation in court. The court will issue an order for child support after deciding on legitimation and custody.

For expert matchmaking and dating advisory service in Thailand, contact My Thai Love at [mythailoveofficial@gmail.com].

More Thailand dating advice

© My Thai Love 2024 | Privacy | Terms | Blog | Signup for Women